Fernando Alonso has responded to claims that Aston Martin’s push to develop its 2023 car has not been successful.
The Spanish driver opened the season with several podiums, but the team later conceded making some “mistakes” with newer upgrades.
In Austin, Aston Martin has introduced more upgrades, even as many main competitors seem to have paused their 2023 car developments to focus on 2024.
However, Alonso, aged 42, believes this view isn’t accurate.
“We have some improvements here, but Haas has a new car and Mercedes also has new things,” he told DAZN on Thursday. “We’ll have to see how it goes.
“When we talk about Aston Martin, it seems that the others just put the car on a trailer and come to the next race and that only we are developing.”
Haas’ significant ‘B car’ upgrade is a rarity for the American team in 2023. Eager to tackle the car’s ongoing ‘tyre eating’ problem, Haas used a workshop outside of Austin last week to attach the new upgrades.
“If what the wind tunnel data promises happens, I’ll sign for it immediately,” said team boss Gunther Steiner. “But the race track is often different.”